Makeup primer is a wonderful product, the main purpose it serves is to help makeup stay in place longer, along with a few other benefits depending on the different brands.
Is makeup base/primer regularly used in your routine?
I do not like hypes, reason number one for not watching the Twilight series (ok maybe number two), and basically down right refused to them at all! Then about two years back, one was purchased because I became curious, and wanted to feed my addiction.
At first, I rarely used it, as I saw it as un-necessary and time consuming, which is a big deal since I'm the type of girl that would trade in breakfast for an additional 5 minutes of sleep. Then, one weekend, when I had some free time, I decided to go all out and "properly" apply my makeup. I noticed a very big difference on my cheeks, my skin was noticably smoother, pores smaller and my foundation wasn't at all streaky. Then, the inevitable happened, I was HOOKED.
Later that year I was in Hong Kong and exploring the world of Asian cosmetics (truly a blog of its own if I went into details), and the sales lady was talking up this light lavender coloured primer, her skin looked nice; it was 30% off if you purchase two...blah blah, bottom line? I went home with two bottles of this purple stuff.
OH MY GOODNESS, my life was forever changed.
The hint of purple in that primer countered out my yellow-undertone skin, and provided an instant glow, I look more awake (huge deal when you are an undergrad, seriously, HUGE), and my foundation colour shows up true to the bottle. On the days when my skin was nice, the primer was all I needed.
I started living in Sephora and Murale, investigating and researching all the types of primers that was out there. Rough year for my wallet....
Alright, I blabbed for long enough, here are some brands I've tried, and my personal thoughts on each.
Le Blanc De Chanel
- Doubles as a moistrizer
- Smells wonderful
- C$ 50
- I like-like it, but do I love it?
- Non-sticky or waxy.
- Prevents lip colour from bleeding.
- Doubles as a lip balm.
- C$ 19
- I love it.
- Best drug store brand I've tried so far.
- Velvet finish, can be used as a base or mixed with foundation.
- Slightly thicker version of Porefessional, for a lot less $
- C$ 14 (ish)
- Love it.
- It performs exactly as the name states, "Double Wear Stay-in-place".
- Small pot lasts a long way.
- Prevents the creasing of eyeliner and eyeshadow.
- C$ 18
- SO much love for this product.
- Unless you've been living under a rock, you HAVE heard of this product.
- Hint of fragrance, but nice.
- C$ 36
- I go back and fourth between this and L'Oreal studio secrets, both gives that velvety feel and finish.
- One of the company's best selling product (I purchased this not long before the soft tube packaging came out.)
- To me, this product performs near identical to the Estee Lauder primer.
- C$ 24
QUO Total perfection face primer
- This stuff is like pure silicon, silky but thick.
- I stay away from this in the summer time since my skin tends to be more oily then, but in the winter time, it is great for hiding the texture of dry skin, allowing a smooth foundation application.
- I want to say around C$15 but I truly can't remember...sorry!
- I saved my favourite for last!
- This is one of the two bottles of the purple stuff I purchased in Hong Kong. Cataline Geo is an Australia cosmetic company, which is highly upsetting since they don't have distributors here in Canada...(SAD FACE)
- I can't find its price on the web, I believe I paid C$ 35 (ish)
- From the official website " Violet offsets sallowness and gives the face a pick me up and healthy glow due to its antidulling effect." IT DOES EXACTLY THAT.
SO, I guess to conclude this lengthy blog, I just want to say how happy I am today that I have gotten my stubborn self to try makeup primers. Now I can't live without them.